NEWCA 2021 Emergency Grant (Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until money is dispersed)
The NEWCA 2021 Emergency Grant
is intended to support members (tutors and administrators) to negotiate budget crises in their writing centers that impact their ability to engage in professional activities and to fulfill their mission. Any proposals for funding will be considered up to $500. For example, applicants could request funds for any of the following; however, preference will be given to the first bullet point:
● Retaining staff positions lost to budget cuts or position eliminations that are necessary for the effective functioning of your Writing Center
● Stop-gap funding for professional memberships/subscriptions
● Technology to more effectively deliver/transition to remote services
● Materials/monies to support research projects
● Professional enhancement initiatives
● Anything else, so long as the proposal is thoughtfully articulated and the requested funds would clearly support or enhance the applicant’s writing center’s mission
You will need to provide the following in a PDF to be considered for the grant:
1) A detailed description of the project / materials (etc.) toward which any granted funds would be applied and how the funds are needed to execute your mission/duties; 2) A prospective timeline for using the funds
The NEWCA Cross-Institutional Research Grant is designed to foster cross-institutional research in the NEWCA region. With this grant we hope to foster more robust research results that are sensitive to–and informed by–different institutional contexts. The maximum amount of this award is $1,000.
In a 2-3 page PDF document, you will need to provide the following to be considered for the grant:
● Brief literature review that effectively situates the project in relevant scholarly conversations and disciplines
● Description of the research project, its potential importance, as well as its methodology/methods
● Rationale for why the research benefits from a cross-institutional approach
● Schedule of completion dates related to the research project
● Purposes for which the $1,000 will be used
Apply here, or click the name of the grant.
NEWCA Social Justice in the Field Research Award (Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until money is dispersed)
The NEWCA Social Justice in the Field Research Award
is for research undertaken by groups and institutions under-represented in mainstream writing center work. We are using the term “under-represented” to refer to individuals from socio-cultural groups under-represented in writing center work, and to institutions under-represented, such as high school writing centers, historically black institutions, urban institutions, and community colleges. The maximum amount of this award is $1,000.
In a 2-3 page PDF document, you will need to provide the following to be considered for the award:
● A statement clarifying your eligibility for this award. The term “under-represented group” means American Indian, Alaskan Native, Black (not of Hispanic origin), Hispanic (including persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Central or South American origin), Pacific Islander or other ethnic group underrepresented in writing center work.
● Statistical information and/or a comparable narrative that will help reviewers understand the distinct socio-cultural ecology of your campus.
● Description of the research project, a brief literature review that effectively situates the project in relevant scholarly conversations and disciplines, the research method, and its potential contribution to writing center scholarship.
● Budget delineating how the funds will be used.
IWCA Summer Institute Sponsorship (Deadline: Funding requests accepted prior to SI application deadline in spring). Each year, we sponsor 1 attendee (working in the Northeast region of the United States) to attend the IWCA Summer Institute. Ideal for early career (or mid-career) professionals, this is a great opportunity for those looking to network, expand their administrative practice and research work. Contact NEWCA Board members (Giaimo, Roll, Turner, Girdharry) if you plan to apply to the SI and would like to be considered for this scholarship.